09.10.2015 Don’t eat a Amanita

There are, I am told, a couple that can be eaten with care and without alcohol, but these are deadly enough that I wouldn’t take a chance.  One can get quite sick from some and others will plain out kill you.  I don’t forage at all.  I figure the berries are there for the birds and bears and mushrooms..well, I don’t take chances, even with the ones I do know are safe.  Let ’em spew their spores, I say.

Amanita muscaria-090715-700WebI came across this beauty while walking back to my car after visiting the gentians.   Someone once described another picture I shared of an Amanita as resembling a cookie.  I wouldn’t want to make that mistake.

Advertisements

About Steve Gingold

I am a Nature Photographer with interests in all things related. Water, flowers, insects and fungi are my main interests but I am happy to photograph wildlife and landscapes and all other of Nature's subjects.
This entry was posted in Closeup Photography, Fungi, Nature Photography, Western Massachusetts and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to 09.10.2015 Don’t eat a Amanita

  1. Don’t eat this cookie of a platter or your life will surely not matter.

    Liked by 1 person

  2. It is very pretty but it LOOKS dangerous! I’m not very brave when it comes to wild mushrooms. I have plenty of other things to eat.

    Liked by 2 people

  3. Mark says:

    Just looks like it could be the white stuff in an Oreo cookie. How bad can that be?

    Liked by 1 person

  4. Andrew says:

    Lovely detail here Steve. I too avoid sampling the local fungi. I don’t feel qualified to judge them. We have plenty to admire. You’ve done a grand job here.

    Liked by 1 person

  5. shoreacres says:

    The only wild mushrooms I’ve eaten are morels, but they’re pretty easy to spot and figure out. When I saw this one, I thought it looked like a white ironstone cake stand. It’s a beautiful thing, for sure, but I don’t think I’d even touch it if I saw one.

    Liked by 1 person

  6. Yep this one is gorgeous but I would bet it’s toxic and would kill. I’ve never touched a mushroom. My parents taught me at a young age to avoid them like the plague. I buy commercially grown mushrooms. It is not worth the chance of dying, Mushrooms are a decent price in the grocery store and as you say, leave the wild stuff for the wildlife.

    Liked by 1 person

  7. Indeed, I hunted once for mushrooms under supervision and it worked out pretty well, this is not something I would do on my own.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s